Motion #00-06: "I move as follows:
For clarity, the term "Census II" refers to the project currently known as
the Census Project, and "Census I" refers to the project currently
known as The Archives Census Project.
In order to bring the two census projects currently operating in the
USGenWeb Project together,
1. The name of the project will be "The USGenWeb Census Project"
2. Census files to be housed in a directory chosen by the Archives/Digital
Library staff, according to their guidelines. The directories that are
currently being used by Census II to be purged and made available for
storage of census transcription software or other items as deemed
necessary by the merged Census Project staff and management.
All database files, new or previously existing, are to be stored in an
appropriate Archives/Digital Library directory.
3. The census files will be formatted and uploaded to the appropriate
directory of the Archives/Digital Library by the Census Project staff member
(FM or other supportive personnel). Archives FMs will handle only regular
Archives files. The Census directories will have separate password access
from the rest of the Archives/Digital Library.
4. Personnel from both Census I and II to be combined. In cases where
there ends up to be more than 1 state census coordinator/FM for a combined
state, the coordinators/FMs for that state will be given the opportunity to
5. An election to be held *as soon as possible* (not wait until July) to
elect a Census Project Coordinator. Staff from what *was* both
Census I and II to be eligible to vote, including state census
coordinators, FMs and current management teams and supportive
6. Autonomy, as laid out in the bylaws, for the integrated Census Project.
7. Regarding the national and state tables of content (TOC) and adjacent or
related Census Project pages: After the special election for Census Project
Coordinator has taken place, and a new Census Project management team
is in place, a determination will be made by the new mgmt team as to whether
to use the existing TOC style from Census I, Census II, or to come up with
something completely new.
8. The USGenWeb Project Advisory board will have the authority to de-link
either project if that project fails to act in good faith."